ARTspot Youth Art Classes
Benefits of Arts Education
Source: Americans for the Arts, 2002.
- Stimulates and develops the imagination and critical thinking, and refines cognitive and creative skills.
- Has a tremendous impact on the developmental growth of every child and has proven to help level the "learning field" across socio-economic boundaries.
- Strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, adding to overall academic achievement and school success.
- Develops a sense of craftsmanship, quality task performance, and goal-setting—skills needed to succeed in the classroom and beyond.
- Teaches children life skills such as developing an informed perception; articulating a vision; learning to solve problems and make decisions; building self-confidence and self-discipline; developing the ability to imagine what might be; and accepting responsibility to complete tasks from start to finish.
- Nurtures important values, including team-building skills; respecting alternative viewpoints; and appreciating and being aware of different cultures and traditions.
Young artists will explore color, shape and texture through a variety of materials and activities focused on creative self-expression. This is a fun and imaginative learning environment. It can get messy-remember to dress appropriately. Ages 3-5.
ART DISCOVERERS CLAY SCULPT
Push it, pound it, squeeze it and roll it. Come and discover what you can create with clay. Pinch and coil construction techniques will be taught. Don't miss out on the fun! 12 lbs. of clay, glaze, and kiln firing provided. Ages 6-9.
YOUNG ARTISTS POTTER'S WHEEL
The basics of wheel thrown pottery will be covered in this hands-on class for young artists. Class size is limited to the number of wheels available in the art center, so please register early to ensure availability. 25 lbs. of clay, glazes and kiln firing provided. Ages 10-15.
YOUNG ARTISTS DRAWING AND PAINTING
Young artists will learn techniques of both drawing and painting using graphite, charcoal, oil bars, acrylic and watercolor paints with both still-life and photographic source materials. We will also learn how to mat and frame artwork for presentation as time allows. Ages 10-15.
HOMESCHOOL CREATION LAB
Supplement your homeschool curriculum with an in-depth exploration of design, structure and form. Our instructor will lead students through the fundamental principles of design while they build their skills using drawing, painting, printmaking, and ceramic media. There will be a strong emphasis on individual self-expression and discovery. This is a process-focused curriculum. Ages 8-15.
NEW! HEY KIDS, GET YOUR PAINT ON
Enjoy a fun filled afternoon of painting and visiting with friends. In this one day class you will create your very own masterpiece and have a great time with friends. All supplies included. Space is limited so enroll early to reserve your spot. Classes take place at Park Grounds Coffee House, located at 401 E. Madison Ave. Ages 10-15.